Monday 29 February 2016

Week 2 - Generating characters using shapes



Okay so characters play a fairly large part within Illustration, you see them everywhere whether it is in children's books, advertising campaigns or food packaging, the lost goes on.
I believe that characters are one of the best visual cue's to use within illustration because of the endless design outcomes.

A lot of my characters are usually made using basic shapes as my starting points. I do this for a few reasons, firstly it makes my characters look a little more quirky and edgy, secondly it allows me to explore and push the boundaries of basic anatomy.


For this session I wanted to get everyone using cut out card shapes as characters and objects, this helped to visualize the shape of objects as they could add and take away bits of paper to make new shapes. Below is my example that I worked with to show the process of layering.





Okay so initially I gave each student an A3 sheet which had 3 boxes on it. Each box had a different objective. 1st box was an object, 2nd was a famous building or structure and the 3rd was a dinosaur. Each had to be created using cut out shapes and a range of different cards. They were also allowed to draw on additional features with pen.


Here are some of the outcomes.











Look at my sad excuse for a pineapple... I do like it though! 






Up next, the animals of the not so conventional ark! 


No comments:

Post a Comment